- Core design topics and methods
- The history, evolution, and future of the design industry
- An overview of web development and website building
- The basics of HTML and CSS as well as foundations of Visual, UI, and UX design
- Different roles within the industry and what it takes to be a successful designer
- Industry-leading design software through hands-on practice and instructor feedback
- Creative methods to generate ideas and solve problems
- How to design and conduct market and user research through qualitative and quantitative analysis
- How to use information architecture to organize an app or website
- How to create low-to-mid fidelity wireframes, the grayscale digital blueprints that enable efficient designs
- How to work on a team to complete projects on deadline and present designs to stakeholders
- How to build a high-quality portfolio of case studies from
UI/UX Design Bootcamp
Professional Development Course
In partnership with Thrive DX, the College of Professional and Continuing Education at California State University, Long Beach (CSULB) offers a UI/UX Design Bootcamp with the goal of transforming learners with little or no experience into ready-to-hire designers in less than one year. This comprehensive curriculum teaches in demand workforce skills and hands-on experience that employers look for in qualified design professionals, with instructors who are leading professionals in the industry.
This program is designed for anyone committed to life-long learning, whether you’re currently pursuing a degree or looking to add new skills to your professional credentials. Classes are scheduled in the evenings and/or weekends to address the needs of working professionals. The immersive learning environment is designed for those with a non-technical background to gain hands-on experience that can qualify them for entry-level positions. Students engage in projects to practice real-world scenarios, and develop the critical thinking necessary to succeed in the field of design.
The UI/UX Design Bootcamp includes a 10-hour course that is led by a dedicated Career Services team and is focused on your career development. To give you even more leverage when it comes to securing the right position in the industry, we provide personal consultation sessions on resumes, interview-skills building, and networking.
To learn more about this program and to contact a consultant, visit ThriveDX's UI/UX Design Bootcamp page.
This program is presented in partnership with a third-party provider and is not taught by California State University, Long Beach faculty. The course is not offered for academic credit and is not degree-eligible.
- Those with little or no design background
- Creative spirits with a strong affinity for all things design, an attention to detail, and an appreciation for aesthetics and usability
- Anyone who wants to learn job-ready skills with an accelerated path towards an entry-level UI/UX position in the design industry
- Current web designers seeking to advance to new positions utilizing UI/UX
- Individuals in media studies, visual arts, mass communications, and other related fields who want to diversify their skill set
- Psychology majors or researchers interested in learning about UI/UX design
Upon completion of the program, you could be eligible to pursue many different roles in the design industry, including:
- UX Designer
- UI Designer
- Interaction Designer
- UX Researcher
- Product Designer
- Visual Designer
- Information Architect
- Graphic Designer
- Product Manager
Students must pass all 15 courses (with the opportunity to re-submit projects along the way) with a 70% or better.
While the majority of the design industry uses Mac computers, you can use a Mac or PC in this program.
In order to successfully complete this program, you will need the following:
Mac laptop with minimum requirements (highly recommended):
- Operating System: Mac OS latest version
- Processor: Multicore Intel processor with 64-bit support
- RAM: 16GB of RAM
- Internet connection
Windows laptop with minimum requirements:
- Operating System: Microsoft Windows latest version (64-bit)
- Processor: Multicore Intel processor (with 64-bit support) or AMD Athlon 64 processor
- RAM: 16GB of RAM
- Internet connection
- Adobe Creative Cloud (all apps)